Monday, October 22, 2007

Q taking his time

Q had his appointment with the developmental pediatrician today. When he wasn't walking at 15 months, our regular pediatrician decided to refer him, because he said Q was falling behind the benchmark a bit. We had to wait months to get in to see this special doctor, and today was finally Q's appointment.

T took him alone, because it was a very bad part of my work day. I hated to miss it. I told T to take lots of notes. T said Q was a bit shy at first. They sat at a little table and two women played with him and did little tests while talking to T and writing down notes.

They determined he is behind in his large motor skills and his responsive listening. Meaning, he can't walk, and doesn't listen to us. He is great at yapping all sorts of words, real and imagined. But, he can't identify things and doesn't really follow any sort of instructions. He qualifies for this Early Intervention program through the school district, and apparently these physical therapists or whatever they are will come to our house to help him and help us help him.

It's pretty discouraging news I think. It is not really alarming or cause for great concern, but everyone wants their child to be this smart little over-achiever, and you hate to hear they are falling behind. I worry it is something I did while pregnant, and I will do the same thing with the next one. What if he never catches up? I am probably reading too much into it, but you can't blame me.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to say "it'll be fine," but, as you know, I have no idea. See what happens, I guess - the record books are full of guys who got a slow start then flourished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how frustrating that would be. Early Intervention programs are so great these days, though. They can do so much to help kids get on track. If you haven't already, check out my friend Michelle's blog. Her son's diagnosis is a bit different, but he is just starting therapy and they're already seeing results. She writes a lot about it (and she's pretty dang funny anyway).
    http://2under2whoknew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete