Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Appreciating impishness

I just read a blog from a woman trying so hard to have a second child, and I must say it made me feel a little sheepish. T and I have been having a bit of a rough time with Q the last few days. Nothing severe by any means, but just enough that we are tired and frazzled.

He has been pretty fussy and woke up wailing in the middle of the night last night. He wakes up without fail at 7:00 a.m, though we go to bed after 1:00 a.m. Today he flipped out in the parking lot after swimming lessons when I wouldn't let him play with my Blackberry. As I was attempting to blow dry my hair and slather some makeup on, he sat at my feet fussing and then kept pulling up on my legs. He didn't want to eat what I made him for lunch. He wanted whatever I was having.

I find myself getting tired and annoyed, and I have to stop myself and realize how lucky we are. When things come easily to you, you don't seem to appreciate them. I do constantly remind T we are so lucky we could easily get pregnant twice and already have a beautiful son. It is so easy to focus on the parts of parenthood that stress you out, but there are so many wonderful little moments you gloss right over.

During swimming lessons this morning, every other child fussed when it was their turn to go to the teacher. Q gave her a big toothy grin. He insists on bringing his giant stuffed seal now every time we take him out of bed. He thinks helium balloons are the greatest thing ever. He gets excited every single time one of our cats walks by. He "sings" along to any music he hears. His impishness can make him frustrating, but it also makes him wonderful. We need to remember that.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. Independence is one of those qualities that has a million wonderful aspects... and just as many frustrating ones. :)

    ReplyDelete