Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Busy, busy, busy mama

Do you ever wonder when in your life you will not be busy? We always tell people, "Sorry, I didn't get back to you. I have been sooooo busy." I hate that excuse. Yet, I have been known to use it. But, everyone is perpetually busy. I feel like I have been busy since I turned 13, and it never really lets up. Though, truthfully, I don't exactly know what to do with myself when I am not busy. My mind races during yoga, and I can never quite relax even when I am getting a pedicure or a massage. I am thinking, OK, after this, I need to make sure I go for a run, and make a quick lunch, and cut Q's nails, and send that birthday card.

I found myself getting a little frustrated at my inability to manage my busyness this morning.
Things started off well. Q and I went for a run with the jogging stroller. He was very good and held my water for me. We went to the park afterward, and I pushed him in the baby swing. He loves that. Of course, my mind was racing about what I still needed to do before I went to work. I have a hard time keeping my head in the moment. I am always too busy thinking about 30 minutes from now.

When we got back home, I got an early start on giving Q his long, slow lunch. I lifted some weights and then ate my own lunch while watching part of the Martha Stewart show.

Then things came off the rails as they always do. Q started fussing a bit, he needed an extra diaper change, my hair took longer than I expected. All of the sudden, I am running around frantically 10 minutes late. I have to drive across town to take Q to daycare and then drive entirely too fast to work. I haven't been on time in quite awhile. So frustrating. I just need to allow myself more time, but I find myself repeating this pattern day after day.

Q must think he has one flustered mama. And he's right.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. Okay, he has one less still-at-home rugrat, but this nightly anchor, Chris Marrou, just graduated from St. Mary's Law (in his 'spare time')
    http://www2.mysanantonio.com/aboutus/kens/newsteam/bio.cfm?ID=56

    Just sick.

    ReplyDelete