Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sweet solitude

I am all alone today.

T is on a business trip, and since I teach super early and a few late classes, my mom took the boys for a day and a half. So, it's just me.

Last night I didn't have to make dinner for anyone so I grazed on cookies, veggies and dip, cheese, chips, and chocolate chips (in that order). No one was there to harass me about watching The Bachelor. No kids woke up screaming at 3:00 a.m. to disturb my slumber as I stretched out diagonal on the bed.

This morning I turned on all the lights and the TV as I got ready to go to class. I didn't have to rush the kids along to get ready and leave ten minutes early for the Y. Now there is no one to drop off, no diaper to change, no Dora to watch. I had a quiet lunch (healthy to make up for last night's excess) while watching The View on DVR. I walked the dog and then put on some music to enjoy while I sip tea and work on the computer.

It's true, I am enjoying it. Life has been a bit hectic lately, so I will take any downtime I can get. But it is lonely. Last night when I unlocked the door it was strange to walk into a silent house with no one to greet me. Thankfully I have a needy dog to nurture and two cats to keep me company.

Solitude is nice but only if it is temporary. The chaos returns tomorrow.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment