Saturday, February 20, 2010

The pain of parenthood


The day started out well. With T and Q on the East Coast for a wedding and to see T's parents, R and I went to my parents. My mom suggested we go to a train display at the botanical gardens, and R delighted in seeing the choo-choos weave through the bright blossoms.


We explored the other domes, looking at unusual plants, and strolling along the paths. R of course barreled ahead at full-speed. That is until he face-planted on a rough walkway. I ran to him, hoping it would just be a little bump that he would shake off and barely delay in his frolicking as he so often does. But, no. His face was full of blood, and his lip was mangled by his teeth.

I felt physically ill seeing him in pain. You don't really know that degree of empathy until you have a child. Seeing him suffering makes me ache and actually makes me feel angry in a way that he has to endure that. Any time my child is hurt I feel frustrated, hurt, and angry at myself that I didn't prevent it in some way. I feel like I let them down.

We mopped up his blood and bought a Popsicle to ice it. The lip still looks terrible and it protruding from his face, but he is in much better shape. You can see the injury a bit in this picture.


Poor little peanut. I'm sorry.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. Jenny, I haven't been faithful to blogs lately, but love to catch up with the goings ons in your family. I cannot believe how much R has grown up!!! I love his hair!!!! Hope his lip feels better soon! Cheers, Amanda

    ReplyDelete