Thursday, September 17, 2009

Why the Y

Whew. I am worn out this week. I have taught eight classes so far with two more to go till the week is over. My core muscle and hips ache a little. This is going to take some endurance!

Last night I subbed at the last minute for a class at the Y. I haven't taught at the Y in about 10 years or so since I was a lifeguard for the pool. Last night T and the boys came along. T worked out and the boys went in the free child care.

The place was just buzzing. Little boys in their karate outfits with bright orange belts were filing into the gym. Other kids were kicking and splashing in swim lessons. It was crowded, happy, and energetic. The Y is just an incredible place for families.

Truthfully, the YMCA pays horribly and doesn't offer very good incentives, but it is a wonderful place to work. The Y is so family-oriented and passionate about health and wellness and offers so many opportunities. T says he is so happy I work there now so we get a very reduced membership rate. He has a new enthusiasm for working out.

I am off there now to teach a Pilates class and to put the kids in the childcare for 45 minutes. I look forward to taking the boys to future swim classes and sports lessons.

I imagine we will be members for quite some time.

--
MM

No comments:

Post a Comment