Sunday, September 6, 2009

College Crazies

College seems like it was so far away and just yesterday. T and I went to a Wisconsin Badgers football game yesterday. He is sharing season tickets with a co-worker so we have tickets to three home games. Yesterday was the opener, so we got a sitter and headed for the stadium.

Downtown was a sea of red. We don't even have Badgers paraphernalia yet, so I donned a plain red shirt and T put on a red and white-striped polo so we wouldn't stick out like sore thumbs.

Finding parking and bus transportation to the game was a little tricky, but before long we were semi-comfortable on our bleacher seats.

We watched the student section in amazement. The college kids are on their feet most of the game, chanting, singing, and moving their arms in unison. It was impressive.

The Badgers won, and after a rousing "fifth quarter" performance by the marching band, we filed out to find our Bucky bus. Drunk students stumbled past us on their way to late night parties and bottomless kegs. T and I were ready for bed.

The students look so young to me now, and that life seems a world a way. I would not have the energy or the desire to stay up till 4 a.m. taking shots and drinking plastic cups of warm Miller Lite.

But still I find myself envious of their excitement and passion for life. They have so much potential before them. I feel as if my life is basically decided. Maybe it is just a result of entering my 30's and recently giving up my career.

I am mostly content and proud of my station in life, but something about seeing those crazy, energetic college kids makes me look back.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment