Thursday, September 3, 2009

A little relief

There might be an end in sight to my horrible back pain.

I went to a DO today, which while I don't entirely understand the distinction, I believe it means they are doctors that treat the whole body more so that an MD. Or something. She was in the same clinic as my primary care physician, and I will still see her as well, so I am not completely sure how it works.

I filled her in on my history: pain during both pregnancies, but particularly intense during the last one, crooked hips in the morning or after running, and intense pain in my lower left back. She poked and tugged and called the difference in the level of my hips "remarkable," and they weren't even particularly rotated today. Some mornings my left hip is dented in while my right one protrudes. It's quite alarming.

She said they need to separate my pubic bone so that it can line up correctly again. That doesn't sound particularly pleasant. Her manipulation was fairly gentle and didn't involve all the cracking and snapping that goes on during a chiropractic adjustment.

I will see her several more times and she also referred me to physical therapy. She gave me a prescription for muscle relaxants as well. The problem she says is that my ligaments are overly stretched and loose and my pelvis, hips, and spine slide into crazy positions. She says the pain I am feeling is ligament pain. Whatever is hurting, I don't like it. I feel it every time I take a step or bend over or pick up a child. It is really debilitating and frustrating.

The problem is clearly much worse after I run, though I love to run, and it is a big part of my life. My doctor told me I will have to put running on the back burner for awhile. She believes they can do a lot for me, but I may never be pain-free. That's pretty discouraging news as I am only 30 and consider myself to be very healthy. I do have a 50-mile relay run I am committed to next month, so I will still have to do some running, though I might be able to take the easier legs.

I also have a lot of concerns about any future pregnancies. My hip and pelvic pain with my last pregnancy was breathtaking, so I am fearful of what the next baby could bring.

In the meantime I am glad at least to have some hope for relief.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment