Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Triumphant return

Well, that may be overstated, but after a little breather, I am ready to go again.

I had kind of a rough week last week for a variety of reasons. I was not feeling well, I was stressed, tired, and a little lost in my routine. I just needed a moment to step back, gather myself up, and surge ahead.

So I am back. I feel much brighter-eyed this week. I feel a bit calmer and slightly more in control.

Last week to be honest, my kids were overwhelming me a bit. R is rapidly turning into a toddler and getting into everything in sight. In the bathroom, he splashes in the toilet and unravels the toilet paper. He barges into the shower and grabs makeup off the counter. He fusses when he doesn't like what is happening around him and throws things.

Q is of course still in full-fledged toddler mode, so the two of them together are a force to be reckoned with. R has learned how to climb onto the stool, the rocking chair, and the little bike, all items that used to belong solely to Q. When R gets into place, Q revolts and tries to horn his way in. I have become the referee of their tiny, irrational battles. It might seem silly and trite, but it can be exhausting and frustrating.

Both tend to be glued to my side at all times as well. I am sure someday I will miss that quality when they just grab the car keys and disappear out the front door. But for now, I could use a little space now and then. Q has never been one to watch a cartoon or a movie for more than 30 seconds. He gets excited when he sees a firetruck or helicopter on the news, but that is about the extent of it. However, we recently got a chintzy little DVD included in a toy farm set. Q loves it. It has five short episodes, and he sits entranced pointing out balloons and doggies. I must admit, I like the solitude it grants me (if you don't count R).

I do not intend to become a mother who parks her child in front of cartoons or Disney movies for the balance of the day, but this little slice of (educational) entertainment is just what I need at this point.

--MM

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing wrong with a little television entertainment to fend off Mom having a breakdown. :-)

    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete