Monday, August 17, 2009

Baby boom

Babies are popping up everywhere! Two of my good friends are becoming mothers this week. One welcomed a baby girl on Saturday and the other is in labor as I type this. Congratulations Alison and Annie! A new world of joy awaits you. (Not to mention sleeplessness, fussing, poo, and diaper rash!)

R was born just 16 months ago but it feels like the distant past already. I can barely imagine being pregnant or nurturing a newborn. Those moments are so fleeting and too often you are wishing for them to be over as they are happening.

I watch with pride as my boys accomplish each new milestone from the first tooth to the first step, from saying "Doggie!" to speaking in sentences. But a large part of me mourns the passing of time. They will never be tiny babies again. This part of our lives is steadily moving by. New discoveries and joys are ahead of course, but it is somewhat sad to leave others behind to exist only in your memory.

------------

An update on the salamander pile: no one seems to have ever seen anything like that. Even the maintenance guy was mystified. The amphibians seem to be dead now. Kind of sad really but still gross.

--------------

Q and I participated in a market research study the past two weeks. I can't reveal the product under penalty of death, but it was a fun experience, and I will get paid. That's the best part. Q had to try out the new product (it didn't go so well), and I had to keep a blog of our experiences. Then we went to a focus group discussion last Friday. It was fun and kind of cool to influence product development like that. The best blog (it had to be private for just the company and the researchers) gets an extra $50. I really hope I earn that.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment