Thursday, June 25, 2009

Swimming pools, traffic jams, and library cards

Q again refused to go in the pool at swimming lessons this week. He stands on the deck and occasionally dips a toe in the water. T asked the Y to refund our money, and they agreed to give us a credit for future lessons when hopefully he will join his class.

T had today off from work, and so we went to a city water park. Q made some major progress and went into the water all the way up to his waist. We're getting there.

--------------

I went to my first book club meeting this week. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am already diving into the next book The Forest Lover. We took the boys to story time tonight and Q and R got their own library cards. They even picked out four books and read them tonight at bedtime. I love a good library.

--------------

I subbed two evening exercise classes this week. It was a new class for me, so I left extra early to account for traffic and to make sure I was prepared. I was a few miles into the trip when I hit a wall of traffic. I wondered is this just normal rush hour over here? It looked like Los Angeles.

I spent a half hour going a few miles and watching the time tick by. I chewed my fingernails and worried. Finally, I saw construction cones up ahead and wondered why the hell they decided to go road work in the middle of rush hour? It turned out that the intense heat of the day buckled the highway forcing emergency repairs and closing two lanes. What a nightmare.

I finally got on my way and arrived three minutes late (I would have been 25 minutes early). I was flustered and frustrated. I felt like I looked bad even though it was entirely out of my hands.

I taught the class again this evening and the weather was scorching again. I left my house even earlier and worried about exploding pavement the entire way. But lightning didn't strike twice, and I arrived obscenely early.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment