Thursday, June 11, 2009

I love my GPS

To put it euphemistically, I am directionally-challenged. My grandfather offered to drive me to grade school once, and I got us hopelessly lost though the school was a mile away. A run in a friend's neighborhood once turned into an hour-long confused wandering among identical-looking houses. I used to call T frantically when I couldn't find an address and was late for an appointment. He would calmly lead me to my destination. His co-workers joked that it sounded like he was talking in a jet. I chose not to be offended.

Everything changed when T got a GPS for our car. The wonderful little Garmin sits perched on our windshield ready to lead me wherever I need to go. It has been a godsend in a new city as well. (Though I could get lost in my own bedroom) We have our list of favorites from childcare to work to a good coffee shop and a downtown spa. I just settle into the drivers seat, dial in my destination, and let my GPS lead the way and tell me when we will arrive. That is the best part; I know when I will have to pick up the pace to shave off a few minutes.

The trusty device has led me astray a few times. Occasionally it seems to have a little glitch and temporarily gets scrambled. And once it led me to a strange address a half mile from where I really needed to go. But mostly, it is lifesaver. I don't know what I did without it. I especially love when I miss a turn and it adjusts without missing a beat. I can wander and explore and then just touch "Go home" on the screen and my path is laid before me.

It's a wonderful thing.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment