Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Troublemaker

Each day Q receives a slip of paper from preschool with brief notes about what they did and whether he ate breakfast or lunch. Also, Green, Yellow, or Red is circled based on their behavior that day-Green being good. Without fail, Q has been bringing home Greens. Until yesterday.

I was going through his bag and looking over his papers, when I noticed the Green crossed out and Yellow circled! There was a note from his teacher as well, "Q was very hard to keep on track today." Our sweet, shy little Q? Hard to keep on track? I couldn't believe it.

I showed the note to his dad who was also surprised. "Q, why did you get a Yellow today?"

"Coleton did it too," was his answer. He also mentioned it had been a Red at one point, so maybe he got downgraded.

"I don't care what Coleton did, I want you to be a good boy and listen to your teacher," I told him, trying not to smile at his first brush with insubordination.

The next day I emailed his teacher to ask for more details. She very formally informed me that "Q was unfortunately too distracted by the necklace he brought in to school" (he got Mardi Gras beads at the St. Patrick's Day parade we went to last weekend).

Q seems to be scared straight. His teacher said he was "AWESOME" after the necklace incident, and he informed me he was a good boy and listened to his teacher yesterday.

We may look back at this as the day Q's life of lawlessness began.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. aaah, yes. I remember the green, yellow, red system fondly. Truth be told, most teachers still use it in the beginning elementary grades too.

    We've had our sporadic yellow and red days over the years. And if I had a penny for each time David said... "but (insert name here) started it." lol

    ReplyDelete