Thursday, March 17, 2011

I need to stop eating cookies

I have a problem. The cafeteria at my work is amazing. the food is truly gourmet and it is cheap. It's just three dollars or so for a beautiful meal. And the desserts! There are always at least five choices from cookies to bars to pudding, pie, and gelato. I started a bad habit of having dessert every single day. Sometimes I would say to myself, "I'll just go look, and I'll only get something if I really want it." The problem is, I always really want it.

I pride myself on being able to many things at once. Work, school, family? No problem! but something of course has to go by the wayside. And that something  is exercise. I do still work out at least twice a week on the days I am teaching Step aerobics at the Y. But other than that, my workout clothes mostly stay piled optimistically next to my bed. My alarm goes off obnoxiously early since it was set with best intentions the night before, but it is slammed into sleep mode at least five times before I finally drag myself out of bed and step over my sad workout clothes.

The problem is this: I used to work out a lot. And I would run a lot. That is just not happening anymore. I am too busy, tired, and unmotivated and my hips ache for days after I go on a long run (and a lot of other really good excuses reasons). When you work out a ton, eating dessert every day, at least once a day is OK. Not so when you are a lazy slug.

I still weigh 15 pounds more than I did before I got pregnant with Lena. Many of my pre-pregnancy clothes still don't fit. I have caved in and bought bigger clothes. So, I need to turn things around here. That means either working out more or eating fewer wonderful cookies. Since I don't foresee more hours joining my day or any new found willpower, I am going to have to skip the dessert counter. Sigh.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment