Saturday, August 28, 2010

Back to School

School is back in session. And I am a little terrified.

This week I had my orientation Monday night and a math review Thursday night. The math review was a three-hour whirlwind through algebra, summations, linear equations, and calculus. Yikes. I haven't taken math classes in more than ten years. I can't believe I ever actually had this knowledge. Derivatives? Huh?

There are some people in class who are financial and accounting majors who could probably do this in their sleep. Thankfully, there are other people like me; journalism, communications, and history majors who use a calculator to balance their checkbook. The professor also said the classes were designed for people who do not have a background in finance and accounting. That is slightly comforting, but I am still mostly terrified.

This weekend I will do my first chunk of homework. Two chapters (100 pages) are due for Thursday. It is crazy to be back in this world again. I also find it so invigorating. It's fun to learn. It really is, though I never would have believed that when I was 16 or even 21. Now it is completely my choice and my money. I have to really want to be there.

A few people seemed a little surprised that I was so heavily pregnant (33 weeks today). I felt a bit self-conscious. I am going to try to miss as little school as possible, but I can't predict what will happen with the delivery and aftermath. I have a midterm scheduled five days before my due date! The director of the program assured me they can schedule a make-up exam. They are very flexible and accepting of work and family schedules, much more so than undergraduate programs.

It is going to be a crazy few months, but it is all good things that are happening, and good stress. I'm going to make it, but it just won't be easy.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment