Saturday, August 14, 2010

Blessed nap

I just woke up from a wonderful three-hour nap. It didn't start out too wonderful as there were small children jumping over me and elbowing me in the swollen belly, but once those loud people went away, I slept. And I needed it.

It has been a long couple of weeks. We are overrun with new customers and new hires at work, so all the trainers are training constantly and many classes are large. Next week, I will be teaching 66 people in one room. Not an easy thing when you are trying to explain the intricacies of health care software. I will have a co-trainer though and that will take off some of the pressure.

I have been there almost six months now. It is tiring and stressful and very challenging. It is demanding and important work. And I really like it. There is always a new challenge to take on, and you are quickly given a lot of responsibility. And the company is just cool. We have amazing lunches and no dress code (except business casual when we are actually dealing with customers). People lounge outside in flip-flops and tank tops. Art is everywhere and the design of the buildings is quirky and impressive. The company has high standards and strict ethics. I am proud to work there. I like that.

My one conundrum of course has been that we live 33 miles away, and my commute is long and frustrating. T almost always drops off and picks up the kids. It's not a good balance. We looked into our alternatives, and if all goes as planned, we will be closing on a house at the beginning of next month! It is ten minutes from my work and about 15 from T's. It has a nice yard and the current owners did some nice updates. It's not big by any means with just three or possibly four bedrooms, but it is much better than our current townhouse.

Life will be a tight with two mortgages. Let's not forget our second home on the West Coast which I secretly dream of burning down. But if this all works out, if will be a great change. I won't even have to take that horrible highway here that is constantly congested. Country back roads will lead me to my destination.

We love our current childcare provider, so that will be a big change. But I do think it will be worth it. The home is in a nice part of town and even if we upgrade in five to ten years, we would want to live in the same area so the kids wouldn't have to change schools.

I am 31 weeks pregnant today. My belly seems to jump and jerk constantly. I feel like this little one must be more active, unless I am just not remembering the other pregnancies correctly. T and I were hoping for a sweet, calm little girl to balance our rambunctious boys, but so far she seems as wily as the rest of them!

I am feeling surprisingly good. My horrible back and hip pain just evaporated. I am still teaching two fitness classes a week for a few more weeks. My only complaint at this point is constant Braxton-Hicks contractions. My entire belly will clench up for thirty seconds at a time. Sometimes it is a mere tightening. Other times it is fairly painful. They are definitely worse if I am dehydrated or being very active, but they are pretty much always there. My sister agreed that hers got worse with each pregnancy. Mine are just ridiculous. Sometimes I will have them every minute or so.

The one upside is these "practice contractions" do tend to get your body in gear for labor. So with my last pregnancy, I was almost five centimeters dilated before I even went into full labor. Everything went very quickly once I recognized that I was having real contractions. The nurses were scrambling as I was ten centimeters and ready to push shortly after arriving. I swear I have to already be dilating right now. Maybe this labor will be an easy, short 15 minutes. It could happen.

I start MBA classes in a couple weeks. I am excited to be in that environment again and to meet new interesting people. I am intimidated however by the financial accounting book now sitting on my counter.

Life is full and life is busy which is definitely how I prefer it. It makes me cherish days like this when I can take a blessed nap and stay in my pajamas most of the day.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment