Sunday, December 20, 2009

Just before dawn


T was raised Catholic, and I Presbyterian. Lately though we have been going to a Unitarian-Universalist church periodically. Today's message really resonated with me.

The UU denomination is very flexible and open. It does not have a specific creed but rather a set of guiding principles in which UUs believe, the first of which is the inherent worth and dignity of every person. Within any UU congregation you could have Jews, Christians, atheists and agnostics. Services can vary widely and often explore various religious traditions or philosophies.

Today the service centered on the Solstice. In December, that is the shortest day of the year, before the days start to get longer again. In many cultures, it is celebrated as a time of change. A time of hope and light in the coldest, darkest days.

The Christmas tradition ties into this with the gleaming star providing guidance in the dark night and the birth of a baby bringing hope to the world.

The minister described other traditions and cultures that describe this time of year as one of rebirth and renewal, hope and change. It works well with our calendar as we contemplate the closing of the year and our New Year's resolutions.

The message is reflected clearly in nature especially in Wisconsin, where the thoughts of green shoots and flower buds are far from mind. The grass is brown, where it can be seen beneath the slopes of snow. The trees are bleak and barren. The world is painted with colors of grey, brown, and blue. But buried beneath the frozen ground is the promise of new life. Hidden amidst the blinding white are shades of green, pink, red, orange, and yellow. In the most desolate time of year, the promise of Spring remains.

This has been a year of change for me, as I left behind a career I had always dreamed of with the idea of staying at home with my children. We moved across the country to the place I grew up. We found a new home, new friends, new favorite places. I struggled to find a sense of worth and identity in a foreign role.

Now as our year of transition draws to a close, I am ready for a rebirth. I recognize now that I would like to return to a fulfilling career, and that this would be best for myself and my children. A happy mother is a good mother! I have an interview next week, and a couple of promising applications submitted for other positions. But even if these don't work out, I am confident the right opportunity will come along, just as I know the green shoots will soon emerge from the cold, hard soil and the robins will begin their song once again.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment