Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"Going Rogue"

I finished Sarah Palin's book and didn't cringe as much as I thought I would. It was actually well-written though seemingly not by her. She included a letter she wrote to her family from God's point of view and it is in stark contrast to the writing in the rest of the book.

I do find her impressive in a lot of ways. She looks amazing, especially for having five kids. She has run a sub-four hour marathon, which is a goal of mine. And she is an involved mom as well as a successful careerwoman. Her book however, is fiercely partisan all the while criticizing partisanship. She is simple-minded about things like abortion, patriotism, and war, not recognizing how complicated those issues can be. And she completely entangles religion and politics while praising the Constitution. Isn't that a contradiction?

I'm glad I read her book. If nothing else, it gave a fascinating look into Alaska and political campaigning, but I am not likely to jump on the Palin bandwagon.

-----------------------

I have to admit, I have been a bit fascinated by the Tiger Woods scandal. Though I don't blame him for protecting his privacy, I am very curious. Whatever the truth may be, it shows even this incredible athlete with his beautiful wife, bulging bank accounts, and cute children has his own problems. None among us is perfect or has the ideal life, and I think this is kind of comforting in a strange way.

--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment