Sunday, April 3, 2011

Teetering

I was thisclose to the breaking point this week. I just had too much on my plate, and I didn't feel like I could handle it. I still feel swamped, but I am a bit more in control.
My projects at work are mounting. It is just impossible to get the amount of work done expected of me in regular eight-hour days. I will be spending a couple hours working tonight. That's just how it is. I don't love that, but it's a reality. I know it's a demanding job, but this week, so much else was piled on top that I felt sick with stress.

We were training a new version of our software, and I was with a particular co-trainer for the first time. I had to take my extra-long breaks for pumping as usual, but this time someone was in the mother's room and the nearest handicap bathroom. I was sprint-walking through the halls with my pump bag slung over my shoulder trying to find a place to lift my shirt.

Thursday night I had an impossibly hard Economics exam. Studying for it was making my head hurt. On Wednesday night, I was falling asleep as I was studying, so I decided instead to wake up at 4:00 the next morning to study, walk on the treadmill, and tend to Lena. I went to bed at the same time as the boys that night and actually felt fairly rested. I may have managed a B on the exam and having it behind me took a great deal of stress off my mind.

Still this upcoming week is ridiculously busy. I have to be in to work tomorrow at 7:00 a.m. to mentor a new hire. I am teaching a new class tomorrow and Tuesday for which I am not yet prepared (hence the working several hours today). R's birthday party is this Saturday, and the boys both start soccer this Sunday. (A funny side note: somehow T is the coach for both teams. I can not imagine three-year-olds are highly competitive. It's going to be like herding cats!)

As I was driving to class and my exam on Thursday, I called my mom. She and my dad are coming over to help me on Wednesday this week, because our nanny is taking the day off.

"I just feel like I have too much on my plate," I told her. My throat was aching a bit from held-off tears.

"That's because you do."

I know I do, but I don't know what to do about it at this point. And right now I feel like I am just surviving. Lena is almost six months old, and I want to enjoy her instead of seeing her as another task to take care of.

My standards for myself are impossibly high, and I feel like I set myself up for failure. I feel like anything less than nursing Lena for a year is letting her down. If I don't do this for her, aren't I just being selfish? If I get an AB in my class, isn't that the same as flunking? I have this constant anxiety of not doing enough. My rampant perfectionism causes me to be high-achieving but also rarely satisfied.

So something's got to giveI clearly can't go on juggling all of this. But I just don't know what  to give up.

--MM

5 comments:

  1. From one perfectionist to another... it's ok to not be good/perfect at everything. I've recently become introduced to the concept of "letting go" and even though I am just starting to, I am wondering why I put so much pressure on myself in the first place.

    You'll be successful no matter what, so just be gentle with yourself. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, and am currently pregnant with our first baby. Your blog is a great outlet for me, I feel like I am already having the anxiety you are with just one. I am trying to keep myself focused, calm and confident that no matter what I will be successful. You are super woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so far from Super Woman it is not even funny. But thanks for believing that!

    Shelli-I am trying to let go in small ways. But man it's hard. I have been a miserable perfectionist since I was about 18 months old.

    SI-Stress and anxiety will certainly come along with motherhood, but it is the greatest joy at the same time. Though I sometimes long for the simplcity of not having children, I would never go back to that. The joys outweigh the downsides. Good luck! :)

    --MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have weeks like this too! matter of fact last week and this week are gonna be super stress full...and I completely agree, "the joys outweigh the downside..."

    keep being the best mama you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jenn, I've loved reading your blogs and have always thought you were an awesome mom! :-) Nursing for a year is an amazing thing just by itself plus 2 other kids, school and work wow!! :-} I pray you find a balance with it all and wonderful people in your life to help along the way!

    ReplyDelete