Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympics overload

I love the Olympics. Partly because of Aaron Piersol and Jason Lezak but mostly because it is just fun to watch. I am usually not a huge fan of the Opening Ceremonies, but this year they were spectacular. I like watching the swimming, track, and gymnastics for the nail-biting finishes, but even enjoy the novelty of badminton and trampoline. So interesting. Who knew there was such a thing as Olympic doubles table tennis? Fascinating.

I have spent many hours on my couch this week with my eyes glued to the television, but I also like watching as I run on the treadmill. It is inspiring to see athletes in the perfect form pushing themselves to the limit of human ability. It makes me speed up a bit. Granted, even the competitors in the marathon are running about twice as fast as me, but I still feel a little of that athletic inspiration spilling over. I will miss the games when they are over.

----------------------

As I continue to train for my own feat of athleticism, the Lake Tahoe half marathon, I set out tonight to run six miles. The run is just over a month away, and I need to step it up a little to make sure I can at least do ten miles by the time race day arrives. A half marathon is 13.1 miles, but the adrenaline of race day always carries you that last few miles.

It was extremely smoky today from wildfires in the area. It smelled like a barbecue outside, and I couldn't even see the mountains in the distance. I worried a bit about running in those conditions. I felt fine at first, and then a little over two miles out, I started feeling really nauseated. I felt like I was running at a really high altitude. I walked for a few minutes and contemplated calling my husband to come pick me up. I started running again, and as it got a little later, the smoke seemed to settle, and I felt fine again. I ended up going 6.5 miles and feeling pretty good after that initial problem.

I won't be setting any world records at this half marathon and the only medal I will get is the finisher's medal, but I still am an athlete just the same.

--MM

2 comments:

  1. Heh - I know the Olympics veg out feeling. I found myself watching dressage (sp?) - the prancy horses - the other day and finally asked myself "why am I watching this?" Good luck on your training - I'm at the marathon training part where the voice inside my head tells me "you can't even do this 12 mile long run, why do you think you can more than double that." I don't like this part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at an NBC station during the Olympics in Sydney (that's what my exec. producer named her baby born a few weeks later -- ugh) and the Winter games in SLC (luckily, no babies named after that one)... so I think I've had my fill for the rest of my life.

    Great job on running. I can barely stand to just be outside when the smoke is thick. Blech.

    ReplyDelete