Friday, August 15, 2008

Fear of Authority

I had my meeting with my boss. It went well actually. I was so nervous about it. I thought about it as I laid in bed last night, then when I got up this morning, then when I was running on the treadmill. I planned what I would say and wrote down my key points. I had second thoughts about even calling the meeting. I went into work a little early and got started on my other tasks. I nervously checked the clock, and when it was time, I took a deep breath and went downstairs to his office.

I told him I have been unhappy and frustrated lately. I explained some of the things that bothered me, and he took notes. He said he would address the issues, told me he valued what I had to say and that I was an important employee, and thanked me. That made me feel good. I didn't say all I had to say. I held back a little, but I am still proud of myself for speaking up. That's not like me.

I have always been a little afraid of authority. Maybe it is because I had a pretty authoritarian mom growing up. I even get nervous when I pull up next to a police officer. I have never been a major rule-breaker, but something about authority figures scares me. I have always been envious of people who can just chat away with their bosses and invite them out for coffee. I generally keep my contact to a minimum and only enter their office when summoned. I am getting better about it, as evidenced by today's meeting, but I am still kind of a wuss.

I am feeling better about work in a lot of ways. Still having my frustrations, but hopefully my brave confrontation of authority today will make a difference.

--MM

5 comments:

  1. way to go. Hopefully, some good will come of it (to assuage the ulcer that meeting'll give ya!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear you. Hopefully it will open the door a little on both ends. I had to do the same when I asked for a transfer to NY and didn't sleep for days thinking about it. Ever since that conversation, it's like my director has more respect for me and we are so much more comfortable with each other! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for speaking your mind. I hope you'll see some results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you! those meetings are so hard, hopefully now you'll get some sleep and things will be a lot better at work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need to get on the phone soon. I had a very similar situation at work!

    ReplyDelete