Sunday, November 14, 2010

Wine bars and breastmilk

Babies aren't common in wine bars. Our first clue when we showed up for our reservation with our month-old-daughter in her car seat is that the restaurant didn't even have a high chair. The server who seated my parents, T, and I, was very gracious and assured us they could borrow one from Panera next door. He said that is what they usually did. At least we weren't the first.

So, we ordered wine flights (I got the sparkling wine offering) and tapas. Almost immediately Lena started crying. I decided I better feed her before I actually started drinking wine. I ended up breastfeeding her standing up in their bathroom stall in stilleto heels. Everyone does that, right?


As is her habit, that feeding only satisfied her for about ten minutes as she dozed in her car seat. Then she was fussing and looking for more. I decided to stay at the table this time, and self-consciously got my nursing cover in place. I nursed her as I nibbled at cheese and bruschetta (still holding off on my wine flight, which was getting warm at this point). When Lena finished her breastmilk flight, she slumped in my arms, cozy and full.


She slept for the rest of the dinner, and I finally got to relax and enjoy myself. We ordered several rounds of tapas and another glass of wine. We felt even more at ease when another couple walked in hauling a car seat. We aren't the only ones who still want to have a little fun!


--MM

No comments:

Post a Comment