Monday, October 20, 2008

Pain in the back

My back hurts. It is a huge pain in more ways than one. Two weeks or so ago, I was lifting R and felt a twinge in the middle of my back. Then in the last week or so, my lower back has been experiencing sharps pains that sometimes extend into my left hip and leg. I am walking hunched over, and it hurts to sit or stand very long. When your back hurts, just about everything you do is painful.

I decided to teach yoga this weekend, and though there were some painful moments, it actually seemed to make it feel a little better, temporarily. The pain persisted though, so today I decided to go to a chiropractor for the first time.

I have always been slightly skeptical of chiropractors, but it seemed like the right expertise for my particular problem. I have an acquaintance who is a chiropractor, so I decided to give her my business. It was an interesting process. She put this odd contraption on me that sent little shocks into my muscles, then had me twist and cracked my back a few times. It seemed to feel slightly better right afterward but feels the same now. She says my hips were out of alignment, which makes sense considering my experience post-birth these last several months. I go again tomorrow morning. We'll see if my skepticism is founded or erased.

-----------------------------

My mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law were in town this weekend showering the boys with attention. Q soaks it up like a sponge. It was a little cramped in the house, and T and I were kicked out of our room, our bed, and our bathroom. My back didn't feel too wonderful on the pull-out bed!

Q's great-grandma got him a big orange garbage truck. He loves it. I swear he can spend hours running the little garbage pail up and down the side and dumping it in the top. And I can spend hours watching him.

--MM

3 comments:

  1. yep, back pain stinks. Let me know how it goes with the chiro - I debate going to one every time my back flares up. But after the orthobutcher was so gung ho about surgery, I seriously considered it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your next appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pretty freaked out the first time I went to a chiro... he had me twist all weird, then he practically laid on me to put his weight into popping my back. I had no idea that's what they did! I'm not sure if it helped, but it didn't make it worse.

    Hope you're feeling better soon! Back pain is not fun at all.

    ReplyDelete